Editor’s Note: This is another installment of a series of columns by Historian Pat Stephens called Our History.
HUBER HEIGHTS — A written history of Holden Chapel was kept from its beginning in 1871. During the 1890-1900-decade, life in the rural community began to change. According to the 1976 history, the membership had grown to over 900, and a total of 13 pastors served the church.
In 1889 Holden Chapel became part of the Sulphur Grove Circuit that included the Aley and Wagner Chapels. Holden Chapel became Sulphur Grove Church of the United Brethren in Christ in 1890.
During the 1900 decade the Wayne Township community began a period of transition. The population was growing, electricity began to replace steam as a source of power and gas as a lighting source throughout our country. But, those things did not come to Wayne Township until later.
In the fall of 1891, Mr. Bartholomew Wilson offered to build a Parsonage on a plot of land that he owned on the southwest corner of Brandt PK and Taylorsville RD. He then built a 5-room home and stable for $1500.00. Keep in mind, there was no indoor plumbing or electricity, in the township during this time.
By 1900, Holden Chapel was 23 years old, township population increased, but church attendance stayed the same. Roads in the township were still gravel, the McElhany’s lived about ¾ mile (as the crow flies) from the chapel, but it took 4 or 5 hours of travel to attend church on those roads.
The church and school had a good relationship and in November 1901, the church board of trustees voted to allow the Teachers Association to hold their meeting in the church. Baccalaureate Services and Commencement for the graduating class of 1902 was held in the church.
In October of 1922, Reverend George R. Jacoby was assigned to Sulphur Grove. He served the community until his death on June 5, 1952. It is recorded that Rev. Jacoby, set a record for service in 143-year history of the Miami Conference, at that time.
Pat Stephens is a Historian at the Wayne Township Huber Heights Historical Society. For more information about the Historical Society see our website www.huberhistory.org Facebook/Wayne Township Huber Heights Historical Society, email: email@example.com, or, call Sue Patrick, President 937-545-4902 or Pat Stephens 937-974-5286.