Short found guilty of home invasion and shooting at police

Matthew Short

This photo of Matthew Short was obtained from surveilance video at UDF. He later shaved to try to change his appearance.

DAYTON — On Thursday, June 11, Prosecutor Mat Heck, Jr. announced that 24‐year‐old Matthew L. Short, of Kettering, was found guilty as charged after entering guilty pleas regarding a home invasion and then shooting at a Huber Heights police officer on Nov. 23.

Short was found guilty to one count of felonious assault on a police officer, three counts aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, three counts kidnapping and one count aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon.

On Sunday, Nov. 23, the defendant went to a home at 7677 Taylorsville Rd. at 5:46 p.m. The defendant entered the home and tied up an elderly male who was inside the residence, and ordered two others, at gunpoint, to the home’s basement, according to Heck. He said that the elderly male was able to dial 911 and report that a burglary was in progress.

The first officer to respond to the 911 call learned en route that there was a burglary in progress at the residence. As he approached, he was met at the back of the residence by the suspect who began shooting at him. The officer returned fire and dropped a signal 99, indicating an officer in trouble.

There was a car between the suspect and the officer which took multiple rounds of gunfire, being struck by both the suspect and the officer.

The suspect then fled to the back into the residence. Another officer arrived and both crews were concerned with getting two of the victims, who were outside at the time of the shooting to safety, which they did by securing them in a shed and staying with them.

As additional officers arrived, a perimeter was set up around the residence. It was believed that the suspect was still inside the home, so the Regional Emergency Response Team (RERT) responded for a barricaded suspect and also for the purpose of getting the victims from the shed to safety with the use of the armored vehicle.

While RERT and patrol crews were still at the victim’s residence, police received a call regarding a suspicious white male at the UDF, located at 7224 Taylorsville Rd., The caller advised that the suspect was covered in blood.

Crews responded quickly, but the male had already fled into the neighborhood to the rear of the business. Crews from many agencies swarmed the area and that they used a K-9 for a track, but the suspect eluded police.

It was still not known if this was the male from the home invasion until one of the victims was able to verify from video (from UDF) that it was.

Throughout that night, units followed various leads and eventually identified Short at the suspect. They continued their search throughout the night and learned that Short had been staying at America’s Best Value Inn in Butler Township. When crews searched the room, Short had already left.

The suspect later turned himself into the Riverside Police Division after which he was interviewed by Huber Heights Police detectives.

“This defendant brazenly kidnapped three victims and shot at a police officer while fleeing,” said Prosecutor Heck. “He is clearly a dangerous individual. Thankfully, no one was injured or killed during this crime.”

The defendant is currently in custody and will be sentenced on July 14 at 11:30 a.m., according to Heck.