The end of the first grading period was October 12 and the second grading period of the 2016 – 2017 school year begins on Monday, October 17. Families should soon be receiving information about fall parent-teacher conferences. These conferences provide an important opportunity for parents to learn more about their child’s educational progress.
We want all of our parents to feel welcome in our schools and meet with our teachers, especially if you have questions or concerns. Because of the number of parents that may want conferences, the time with your child’s teacher may be limited. In order for you to get the most out of fall parent-teacher conferences, here are a few suggestions that may help you prepare:
1. Utilize Progress Book to review your child’s grades. Look over some of your child’s recent school work and homework assignments. Take time to write down any questions you might have for the teacher prior to the conference.
2. Ask the teacher about your child’s progress this year. Are there critical skills that your child is having difficulty with and/or still needs to master?
3. Ask your child about school and write down any concerns or questions he/she might have so you can talk about these with the teacher.
4. Ask the teacher for suggestions of things you can do at home to help your child feel more confident and successful at school.
5. Ask the teacher what your child can work on at home. Keep in mind that your child has worked very hard this quarter and you don’t want them to lose any skills or fall behind.
6. Be sure to share any important information about your child with the teacher. Because you see your child after school hours, you may have some insight and information that will help the teacher help your child.
After your parent-teacher conference, be sure and sit down with your child and talk with them about what was discussed. This shows your child that, when it comes to education, you and the teacher are a team. As always, if you have questions about our schools, please contact me at the Administrative Offices (237-6300) or through e-mail at Susan.Gunnell@huberheightscityschools.org.
Reach Supt. Susan Gunnell at 237-6300 or through e-mail at Susan.Gunnell@huberheightscityschools.org.