Our History: The streets of Huber Homes


By Pat Stephens - Wayne Township - Huber Heights - Historical Society



Stephens


File photo

Editor’s Note: This is another installment of a series of columns by Historian Pat Stephens called Our History.

HUBER HEIGHTS —

In July 1957, Charles Huber, announced to the home owners in the first Huber Plat, in Wayne Township, that the paving of the permanent streets, in the first three sections, would be finished by September 1, of that year, giving the newest plat its finishing touches. The paving of these streets, had been delayed allowing the street base to “cure” for nine months. The nine-month curing time, although inconvenient at first, was recommended by the Montgomery County building code for construction of the best streets and insured the roads would stand up for some time to come.

In 1958, the streets in the first three sections of Huber Plat, were accepted by the Wayne Township Board of Trustees and were no longer private roads. Russell Milanick, clerk of Township Trustees, stated the significance of the change for Huber Heights residents. There were 45 streets in those sections, making 9 miles of roadway that would be patrolled by township constables, having the authority for traffic control and upholding village ordinances.

After inspections and surveying that area, traffic control, such as stop signs, would be installed at certain intersections. The State Highway Department made those surveys and the signs were soon installed.

Mr. Milanick, stated during their inspections of the roads, many of the Huber Heights homeowners were piling debris, grass clippings, shrubs and so forth on the curbs and in the gutters. He pointed out this is against the interest of home owners, he suggested this material be placed in containers for removal by the various contract rubbish and trash haulers serving the community. This would insure a uniformly neat appearance in the community and remove the need for passage of ordinances by the trustees to accomplish the same effect.

For more information go to our website at www.huberhistory.org.

Stephens
http://www.hhcourier.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2017/07/web1_PatStephens.jpgStephens File photo

By Pat Stephens

Wayne Township

Huber Heights

Historical Society

Pat Stephens is a Historian at the Wayne Township Huber Heights Historical Society. For more information about the Historical Society see our website www.huberhistory.org Facebook/Wayne Township Huber Heights Historical Society, email: wthhhs@huberhistory.org, or, call Sue Patrick, President 937-545-4902 or Pat Stephens 937-974-5286.

Pat Stephens is a Historian at the Wayne Township Huber Heights Historical Society. For more information about the Historical Society see our website www.huberhistory.org Facebook/Wayne Township Huber Heights Historical Society, email: wthhhs@huberhistory.org, or, call Sue Patrick, President 937-545-4902 or Pat Stephens 937-974-5286.