City accepts grant funds for playground equipment at Twin Creek Park


HUBER HEIGHTS — The June 8 Huber Heights City Council meeting was a marathon meeting lasting nearly five hours, thought to be the longest Council meeting in the last eight years. A good portion of the meeting involved a public hearing on the request by Concept I Academy LLC’s zoning request to use the former LaMendola Elementary School property as a private residential school, which was covered in the Courier in the June 11th edition.

After a first reading, this ordinance was sent back to the Public Works Committee for further discussion scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 16 in the Council Chambers to accommodate the anticipated meeting participants. Council is expected to hear the second reading of this legislation at 7 p.m. on Monday, June 22.

Council also authorized accepting awarded grant funds for new playground equipment at Twin Creek Park from the Montgomery County Solid Waste District, and entering into an agreement with Landscape Structures Inc. at a cost not to exceed $45,000.

The grant review committee approved the full amount requested of $27,764. The grant specifically is a reimbursement grant where Montgomery County will pay 70 percent of the cost and the city will pay the remaining 30 percent of the cost.

Council removed from Community Reinvestment Area (CRA) #7 over 50 pieces of real estate. The CRA was created on June 20, 1994. Portions of the property covered by CRA #7 are also covered by another economic incentive program, the Montgomery County TIF districts. The granting of CRA exemptions on these properties would have a negative impact on the cash flow generated by the TIF.

In other business, Council:

-Authorized issuing a Request For Proposals (RFP) through the competitive bidding process for repairs to the Police Division’s fire protection sprinkler system.

-Approved the renewal application of Larry and Mary Wood with the city of Huber Heights for placement of farmland in an agricultural district for a parcel of land of 19.020 acres on Fishburg Road.

-Approved new liquor permit for Absolute Janitorial, Inc. DBA Vacs N Videos at 6185 Brandt Pike.

-Approved the transfer of liquor permit for Varahikrupa, Inc. DBA Huber Heights Sunoco at 5990 Old Troy Pike.

-Approved new liquor permit for Cinemark USA Inc. DBA Huber Heights 16 at 7737 Waynetowne Boulevard.

Council heard the second reading of legislation to take steps to acquire a 10 acre and 15 acre site along Brandt Pike at the entrance to the Carriage Trails subdivision.The property has been to multiple sheriff’s sales and is currently under a control of a local bank and a bankrupt LLC corporation.

The city would pay approximately $15,000 in fees for the bank and LLC expenses and would be liable for the taxes owed and any penalty and interest. This would be approximately $116,434 to acquire the 25 acres, about $4,675 per acre. The city has paid the past assessments on the property and will be responsible for the future assessments.

Once acquired, it is anticipated the city will actively market the property and use the proceeds to reimburse the city for the costs of acquisition.

Council heard the first reading of a resolution establishing salary ranges and wage levels with some redefined titles. Among the changes receiving a first reading is the appointing of Katherine Knisley as Director of Human Resources. Her current position is Human Resources Manager. Also receiving a first reading was the appointment of Branden Payton as Director of Information Technology. He is currently the Information Technology Manager. These were slated to become effective June 8.

Council heard the first reading of an application to initiate foreclosure proceedings with Montgomery County for a vacant property on Elysian Way under the Huber Heights Land Reutilization Program. The property has been verified with the Montgomery County Auditor and does meet the criteria for the program. It is vacant and has been delinquent on property taxes for at least two years.